Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 02/13/2013 - 00:11
The Guardian, Tuesday 12 February 2013 - Fifteen Sri Lankan nationals have claimed they were tortured and subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment after they were forcibly removed to the country by the UK Border Agency, the Home Office has said. In a freedom of information (FoI) request, the Home Office revealed that between the end of the island's civil war in 2009 and September 2012, 15 failed asylum seekers managed to escape back to Britain after being removed by the agency, the UKBA. They subsequently won refugee status after giving evidence to officials saying they were tortured in Sri Lanka. Kulasegaram Geetharthanan, a solicitor in the UK, said that one of his clients, understood to be one of the 15 mentioned in the FoI statement, had been gang raped and tortured by Sri Lankan security services after being forcibly removed to the capital, Colombo, on a specially chartered UKBA flight in 2011.
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 02/12/2013 - 22:55
Human Rights Law Centre, 12 February 2013 - The Human Rights Law Centre invites you to participate in what is sure to be an in depth, robust and enlightening discussion about accountability for war crimes and the current human rights situation in Sri Lanka.
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 23:18
BBC, 5 February 2013 - A 38-year-old woman in a remote part of Jaffna in northern Sri Lanka, Selvanayaky, uses a building donated by the local fishermen's society to train people in computing and IT. There would be nothing remarkable in that, but Selvanayaky has a severe disability dating from when the area was fought over by the government and the Tamil Tigers more than 20 years ago. She spoke to the BBC at her workplace in the village of Thalayady.
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 23:14
Groundviews, 11 Feb, 2013 - The BBC’s Charles Haviland interviewed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs Minister Alistair Burt on 1st February 2013, during an official visit to Sri Lanka which saw the Minister meet with a range of stakeholders including the government, TNA and civil society as well as travel to the North of the country.
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 22:44
11 February 2013 - "Contrary to some media reports, Commonwealth Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma has not made any statement today with regard to Sri Lanka as host venue of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in November 2013", Commonwealth Secretariat said today in a statement.
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 21:58
New Indian Express, 11 February 2013 - With Parliamentary session all set to begin, the UPA Government is girding up to withstand pressure from both the DMK and AIADMK to support a resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) against Sri Lanka. The Centre is, however, keeping all options open. With the DMK begining the groundwork, it remains to be seen, if there would be a re-run of last year’s intense pressure mounted by the Tamil regional parties. The pressure is likely to mount on the Centre, with both the AIADMK and DMK expected to outdo each other during the Parliamentary session, which begins from February 21.
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 22:26
10 February 2013 - Frances Harrison has updated collection of Mullivaikkal photos showing war destruction. Photographs of abandoned belongings in the war zone. https://francesharrison.jux.com/
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 21:43
PTI, February 10, 2013 - Chennai: India would support any resolution brought forward by United Nations against Sri Lanka if the island nation does not honour recommendations of the world body on human rights issues, Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said here on Sunday. "When United Nations brought forward a resolution against Sri Lanka, India voted for it. If UN's recommendations are not honoured by Sri Lanka, India will support any resolution brought by it against the island nation," he told reporters.
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 02/09/2013 - 23:12
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 02/09/2013 - 22:57
Aljazeera, 9 February 2013 -Four years later, evidence of Sri Lanka's civil war starts to emerge. In mid-January, The Times of India reported that flooding had caused human remains and abandoned belongings to come to the surface in what have been deemed 'Sri Lanka's killing fields'. The UN estimates that nearly 40,000 Sri Lankan lives were taken in 2009 when the Tamil opposition forces took their last stand against government forces. On February 6, the Sri Lanka Campaign released photographs of the fields.